ABOUT Excimer Laser & LASIK Unit Surgery in Turkey
An excimer laser is a form of ultraviolet laser that is generally used for the production of microelectronic devices in eye surgery and micromachining.
People who are aged 18-60 and have no serious systemic or eye problems can benefit from this treatment. Myopia up to -12, hyperopia up to +5, astigmatism up to 7 diopters can be corrected with an excimer laser.
Additionally to an ophthalmic examination which is done very detailedly, corneal topography and corneal pachymetry (shape and thickness of the cornea) are evaluated with refined devices.
Recovery Time: Tearing and burning the eyes may occur for 2-3 hours and is recognized as normal. Antibiotic drops are used every 1-2 hours until bedtime. The eyes should be covered with transparent plastic shields. Next day after the surgery a 5 min. post-operation check-ups should be made.
LASIK is usually the most preferred and popular laser refractive technique in the world due to its short recovery time. Even if LASIK cannot be done for some reason, the patient may still benefit from surface ablation techniques called PRK or LASEK.
The main disadvantages of these techniques are longer recovery time and greater patient discomfort. LASIK is a totally painless procedure. The eyes are numbed with drops. The microkeratome produces a 10-second pressure feeling on the eye then the patient watches the “fireworks” of the laser.
Excimer laser technique, utilized worldwide in refractive surgery, is the most frequent approach utilized in the treatment of myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism.
Who is the perfect candidate for laser therapy?
• 18 years old, with glasses
• Those up to -10 degrees with myopia
• Up to +5 degrees Hypermetropic.
• Corneal thickness and appropriate structure of the cornea
• Those without systemic malfunction like diabetes, rheumatism
• There are no additional eye illnesses (keratoconus, glaucoma, etc.)
• Women who are not pregnant
• Laser therapy can be administered to patients with eye structure and surgery as a consequence of evaluations and exams.
Methods of Laser Processing
This technique is the method of a corneal layer at the top of the flap under the name of thin flap formation and is used to correct the level of eye rectification by applying corneal tissue surface under the excimer laser cover. This procedure takes place without the needle and suture procedure using a topical anesthetic (drop anesthetic). During and after the surgery the patient has no discomfort.
Tekniği Wavehead (Personalized Laser Technology)
The laser therapy procedure takes place when the results of the wavefront analyzers are measured and the results are transferred to the excimer laser device without contact. The Femtosecond laser wavefront approach combines state-of-the-art laser technology and individualized on-site treatments.
This is the name given to the IntraLase valve shaping method (femtosecond laser). One of the most significant phases of laser surgery is Femtosecond. The advantages are that the flap for processing is to be made without blades in the required area and quality, while the dangers are low when the flap is obtained.
PTK (Corneal Stain Treatment / Unregulatedness)
Some conditions or eye traumas can lead to corneal stains. The eye is used using the procedure termed PTK to eliminate these stains. To make PTK feasible, the fleck must be superficial. When PTK is not appropriate, corneal transplants are necessary if the stains are in the lower strata of the cornea.
For eye damage PTK can be utilized if:
• Infections of the cornea (corneal germ)
• Dystrophy is called hereditary corneal disorders
• Recurring erosion epithelial syndrome (corneal injury once opened, then spontaneous opening)
• Corneal discoloration in the eye following a pterygium operation
• Irregularities of the corneal surface
The patient should be careful before the laser treatment
• Before laser operation, the patient should not use fragrance/deodorant.
• When arriving, the patient should not wear make-up.
• If the patient is using contact lenses, the lenses should be removed sometime before examining the lenses.
• Using a soft lens, contact lenses should be removed
• One day before the procedure and the surgery the patient should not take blood-thinning medicines (aspirin, etc.) or alcohol.
• Before laser surgery, there is no risk in eating for the patient.
After laser treatment, the patient should consider the following:
• After treatment, the patient does not need to close his eyes.
• After therapy, the patient has medicines/drugs to utilize.
• Patient should not scrape, itch, wash, and bath within the first 24 hours following therapy.
• For 1 week following laser therapy, the patient should not use eye make-up.
• On the 20th day following the laser therapy, the patient may enter the pool.
• For aesthetic considerations, the patient can utilize contact lenses.
• It should however be used at least 1 month after the course of the therapy and under a doctor's supervision.